Get Email Updates

Fishermen: GARFO Permits Office Accepting Expired or Un-issued Certificates of Documentation on Permit Applications Through May 1

February 28, 2019

Due to the interruption of federal services during the recent government shutdown, the GARFO Permit Office will accept fishing permit applications with expired U.S. Coast Guard Certificates of Documentation or with the application for a Certificate of Documentation through May 1, 2019.  

If you meet one of the following categories below, you may submit your application without a current Certificate of Documentation:

No Change to Vessel Ownership or Change in Vessel Name Only

We will accept expired Certificates of Documentation for fishing vessels that are renewing their fishing permits but are not changing ownership or are simply changing the vessel name on their Certificate of Documentation. Applicants must provide a copy of their most recent Certificate of Documentation.

Change in Vessel Ownership

If the vessel will be changing ownership, we will accept the application for a Certificate of Documentation and require a copy of the bill of sale signed by both the buyer and seller.

New Vessel Without GARFO Permits

If the vessel is applying for GARFO permits for the first time, we will accept the application for Certificate of Documentation.

Please note that this policy does not include state registered vessels, as they were not affected by the government shutdown. If your vessel has state registration, you will need to include the current registration with your permit application.

Visit our website for forms and applications.

Questions? Contact our Permits Office at 978-282-8438.