*** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
Date: August 20, 1999
If your vessel has any of the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Limited Access or Moratorium Federal fisheries permits listed below, please note Items 1 and 2:
Limited Access Northeast Multispecies Permit (categories A - G)
Limited Access Scallop Permit (categories 2 - 9)
Limited Access Maine Mahogany Quahog (category 7)
Limited Access American Lobster Permit (categories 1- 2)
Limited Access/Moratorium Summer Flounder (category 1)
Limited Access/Moratorium Scup (Porgy) (category 1)
Limited Access/Moratorium Squid, Mackerel, and Butterfish (categories 1, 5)
Limited Access/Moratorium Black Sea Bass (category 1)
1) If you do not renew your vessel's 1998 Northeast limited access/moratorium Federal fisheries permit(s) in the fishing year 1999*, your vessel will be ineligible to ever possess the permit(s) again.
2) If your vessel has been issued a Northeast limited access/moratorium Federal fisheries permit(s) in the past, is still eligible to be approved for such a permit(s), but did not possess a 1998 limited access/moratorium permits(s), your vessel must obtain a valid Federal fisheries permit(s) in the fishing year 1999*. If your vessel does not obtain the permit(s) in 1999*, your vessel will be ineligible to ever possess the permit(s) again.
If you have retained a vessel's fishing history or have been issued a Confirmation of Permit History letter, Items 1 and 2 do not apply.
The following information applies to both open access and limited access/moratorium Northeast Federal fisheries permitted vessels:
3) In order to have enough time to process Federal fisheries 1999* permit applications (initial, renewal, or transfer), applications must be received by NMFS at least 30 days before the end of the fishing year. This means limited access scallop vessel 1999* permit applications received after January 30, 2000, may not be processed before the fishing year ends; all other 1999* permit applications received after March 31, 2000 may not be processed before the fishing year ends.
4) The NMFS Northeast Regional Office has converted vessel permit processing to a new computer system. Please closely inspect all vessel permits delivered to you. Correct any mistakes and promptly return the corrected documents to our office.
* The 1999 fishing year spans from March 1, 1999 through February 28, 2000, for Federal fisheries limited access scallop vessel permits, and from May 1, 1999 through April 30, 2000, for all other Federal fisheries vessel permits.